The Blackstone 36 inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Grill was designed for function so they haven’t tried to produce a wonderful looking unit, instead they’ve created something that looks rather like a Workbench shoved over a Shopping Cart. Most of these low-priced large Grills look less than great, but people buy them because they can feed the whole family and half the block for less than half of what would usually be paid for a huge Grill. They allow people on a budget to feel like they aren’t budgeting. The four wheels are pretty sturdy so will be durable.
- The Set-Up is very easy because you only need a Screwdriver so it’s a case of a few small operations before you’re fully assembled and ready to go. The whole assembly should take no longer than 30 minutes.
- You get an incredible 720 square inches of cooking space here, making it one of the largest grills available with a low price. They slightly cut the costs of the Grates by using Steel instead of Cast-Iron but they’re of just the right thickness so there’s no loss of taste. Cook times are the same as they’d be with Cast-Iron Grates because of the higher than usual BTU output, so the Blackstone 36 Inch is a triumph of good intelligent design. They recognized the need to cut-costs to get down below $300, but after going with Steel Grates they took steps to raise power so that there was no disadvantages.
- The food tastes wonderfully good and on a surface this large you can make all the food you’d need for a week; eat what you want and then store all the rest. This could be very convenient for family’s who don’t have time to cook every night and they’d also find the quick ignition to be an excellent inclusion.
- The Grill can be easily removed when you want to use the Griddle, the Thermometer is easy to see and accurate, while the whole thing is self-explanatory when it comes to operation so even beginners won’t have any trouble here.
- Unfortunately the Grease Drainage isn’t connected at all well to the Drip Tray so you’ll need to put something beneath the Grill to catch any falling Grease. Grease also doesn’t Drip off the Tray very well so some of it collects there which makes the cooking surface hard to clean. In short, there’s a major Grease problem.
With its price tag this is an amazing grill. It has a huge cooking surface with a great design, it produces wonderful food and has a whole lot of power. It is true the Blackstone let themselves with the Grease problem and it would be understandable if some people chose other options instead, but on our honest view once you’ve got a Griddle Cleaner and something to go underneath the Grill, you’ll own one of the best value Grills on the market.